When you fire up your grill and make a thick juicy steak, you immediately think of the obvious wine pairing, a Napa Cabernet Sauvignon or an Argentinian Malbec. Sure these wines make great pairings, but if you are tired of the same old, same old, then look to Spain’s Rioja region for the perfect pairing with Bodegas LAN Rioja Reserva 2012.
Bodegas LAN has always been known for its innovative winemaking, in a region that is rooted in tradition. Bodegas Lan was founded in early 1970’s, in a spectacular setting, on the curve of the River Ebro. For more background and details on Bodegas LAN please click here.
There are the standard rules for pairing wine with steak. You want a wine that can stand up to the steak; firm tannins, rich fruit and a complex structure. The Bodegas LAN Reserva 2012 fits all those criteria. And wow what a wine it is!!
The Bodegas LAN Reserva is 92% Tempranillo and 8% Mazuelo. It spends 18 months in hybrid barrels of French and American oak. Bodegas LAN is a pioneer in the use of hybrid barrels that combine American oak staves – giving vanilla elegance – and French oak bases, which provide touches of spice. LAN Reserva remains a further 20 months in the bottle, to complete its rounding off.
The wine has a bright cherry red hue with intense and complex aromas. The Bodegas LAN Reserva 2012 has aromas of ripe red fruit, vanilla, cinnamon and almond blossom. Velvety on the attack, it is smooth and delicate on the finish. It is elegant, balanced and harmonious on the palate. With an incredibly long finish that leaves you wanting for more.
The Bodegas LAN Reserva is the ideal pairing for a juicy grilled ribeye steak. The tannins in the wine worked well to cut the fat in the ribeye. The fruit was rich and ripe and so it complemented the cajun spice in the steak. Oh what a heavenly pairing.
The Bodegas LAN Rioja Reserva works well with grilled meats when barbecuing at home. When you find yourself at a fancy steakhouse, be sure to look out for Bodegas LAN or any Rioja Reserva wines. Save yourself hundred of dollars versus ordering California Cabernet or a big Bordeaux. The Rioja will be just perfect for your palate and your wallet will thank you!!
INGREDIENTS FOR CAJUN BUTTER RIBEYE STEAKS
- 1/3 c. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 c. lightly packed brown sugar
- 2 tsp. cajun seasoning
- 1 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme leaves
- 2 lb. Ribeye (or a thick cut of sirloin)
- 2 tbsp. butter
- Freshly chopped parsley, for garnish (optional)
- In a large bowl, whisk together olive oil, brown sugar, Cajun seasoning, and garlic. Pour out about ⅓ of mixture to use for glaze later. Toss steak in mixture and let marinate for 20 minutes, or up to 4 hours.
- Heat grill to high. Remove steak from marinade and season both sides with salt and pepper. Grill until charred on bottom. Remove from grill and let rest on cutting board before slicing against the grain.
- Meanwhile, make glaze: Pour reserved marinade into a small saucepan and bring mixture to boil over medium-high heat. Whisk in butter until melted.
- Brush glaze over ribeye and garnish with parsley.
- Serve with Bodegas LAN Rioja Reserva 2012. SALUD!!
Our Wine Pairing Weekend group has come together this month to focus on Rioja wines and grilled foods. Please be sure to check out what my other wine lovers have to say.
Also be sure to join our chat on Twitter on July 13th at 11am EST. Be sure to search the hashtag #WinePW and join the conversation. Click on the links below to see more yummy Rioja wine and food pairings from my favorite wine writers.
- Deanna at Asian Test Kitchen shares “Vegan BBQ: 3 Ideas to Pair with Crianza Rioja“.
- Lori at Exploring the Wine Glass shares “A Father’s Passion is Passed Down to Daughter and Expressed in Bottle“
- David from Cooking Chat shares “Grilled Paprika Pork Chops with a Rioja”
- Jane at Always Ravenous shares “Grilled Sausage Feast Paired with Rioja Crianza“
- Lauren at The Swirling Dervish shares “Paella and Bodegas LAN: Perfect for Your Summer BBQ“
- Jill at L’Occasion shares “On the Grill with Rioja Wine“
- Jennifer at Vino Travels Italy shares “Oven Roasted Italian Sausage with Rioja Riserva“
- Martin at Enofylz Wine Blog shares “Grilled Garam Masala Lamb Chops paired with Bodega LAN Reserva“
- Linda at My Full Wine Glass shares “Keep your cool with grilled steak salad and Rioja“
- Camilla at Culinary Adventures with Camilla shares “Robatayaki and Rioja Wines, the Perfect Summertime Party“
- Pinny at Chinese Food & Wine Pairings shares “Bodegas LAN Rioja Crianza and Thick-Cut Sirloin Steak on the Grill“
- Wendy at A Day in the Life on the Farm shares “Our Favorite BBQ Ribs with LAN Rioja“
- Gwen at Wine Predator shares “An American Summer BBQ with Spanish Rioja Wine: LAN Crianza and Beronia Rosado“
- Nicole at Somm’s Table shares “Cooking to the Wine: Bodegas LAN Rioja Reserva with Smoky Seared Octopus”
- Rupal at Syrah Queen shares “Bodegas LAN Rioja with Canjun Butter Steak”
- Jeff at Food Wine Click! shares “Smoking Low & Slow with Rioja Wines“