Today is National Pasta Day and I have teamed up the chefs at Fresh n’ Lean (the nation’s #1 organic meal delivery company) to bring you their masterpiece of a gluten-free, vegan pasta dish that anyone can make. What Italian meal would be complete without a wine pairing? Ricossa wines are the perfect accompaniment to this classic Italian dish.
PASTA ALL’ARRABBIATA By Fresh n’ Lean
This classic spicy Italian pasta dish can be on your table in only 20 minutes. It’s one of the easiest pasta recipes but at the same time surprisingly flavorful and perfect in its simplicity, like almost every Mediterranean dish.
(makes 4 servings)
- 400g gluten-free pasta of choice (preferably short type of pasta, like penne or maccheroni)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp of chili flakes
- 400g canned crushed tomatoes
- salt to taste
- For serving: a handful of fresh parsley and (optionally) chili flakes to taste
- Cook pasta in salted water until al dente (according to suggested cooking times on the package). Drain, saving about ¼ cup of the cooking water.
- In the meantime, add olive oil and minced garlic to a pan and cook over medium heat for 1 minute.
- Add chili flakes and saute for 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
- Add crushed tomatoes along with all the juices, stir well and bring to a simmer. Season with salt and let simmer for 6-8 minutes.
- Add cooked pasta to the pan with arrabbiata sauce, stir well until the pasta is evenly coated. If the sauce is too thick (that will depend on the variety of tomatoes), add 2-3 tablespoons of the saved pasta cooking water. Quickly heat up to the desired temperature, stirring constantly, don’t cook.
- Transfer to serving bowls or plates, decorate with freshly chopped parsley and, optionally, extra chili flakes. Enjoy!
Wine Pairing – Ricossa Wines
Arrabiata is a classic Italian tomato sauce that varies in depth and flavor. A lighter version of this sauce pairs very well with crisp Italian whites, such as the Ricossa Gavi. Once you add basil, extra garlic and most importantly crushed red chilies, then a light red wine becomes a wonderful match. The perfect red wine pairing to Arrabiata sauce is the Ricoss Barbera that is made in the Appassimento style.
Ricossa – Antica Casa
The story of Ricossa is a story of loyalty to territory and tradition, a blend of resourcefulness, professionalism, and ingenuity which transformed a small provincial distillery into an international brand. The Ricossa family were the owners of an award-winning distillery at the end of the 1800s on the outskirts of Asti in the region of Piedmont. Today, nearly a century later, they continue the Ricossa story, blending Italian tradition and geniality for the production of quality wine.
This outstanding Gavi made from the Cortese grape grown in Southeast Piedmonte is pale yellow with delicate gray highlights. The bouquet offers white flowers, citrus fruit, and fresh herbs. The pleasant acidity creates a well-balanced, inviting wine.
The Ricossa Barbera is a unique wine from this region, as it is made in the Appassiemnto style. Made with 100% Barbera from the Monferrato Area in Piedmonte, the wine has a unique, ruby red color. The bouquet is rich with berrylike aromas, homemade fruit jam, and earthy notes. This wine has a soft sweet flavor balanced with the typical acidity of our beloved Barbera grape. The smooth tannins help give a pleasant structure and a nice finish.
Buon Appetito & Cheers!!!